Jim primarily practices in the areas of Insurance Defense, Insurance Coverage, Transportation and Trucking Defense and Civil Defense litigation. He is a member of the Firm’s Rapid Response Team, available 24/7 for catastrophic accident investigation.
Since beginning his legal career in 1997, Jim has tried more than fifty cases to verdict in North Carolina Superior and District Courts. In addition, he regularly represents insurance companies in arbitrations. He has also represented clients before the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Jim is licensed to practice in all North Carolina state courts, in the U.S. District Courts for the Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, and the United States Supreme Court.
Jim is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating that can be attained. He has also been certified as a Superior Court mediator.
Through his lengthy experience and the value he places in client needs, Jim’s priority is a pragmatic, cost-conscious personal injury liability defense that delivers results. Jim is also an experienced coverage counsel, providing thoughtful and thorough services to carriers within the timeframe they require.
Jim currently serves as an Elder and Treasurer at First Presbyterian Church and chairs the Facilities and Finance Committee.
Jim lives in Winston-Salem with his wife, Beth, and his four children: Jimbo, Maggie, Chandler, and Sarah.
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Professional and Community Activities
- First Presbyterian Church of Winston-Salem: Elder; Treasurer; Former Deacon; Youth, High School, and Adult Sunday School Teacher; Facilities and Finance Committee Member
- Winston-Salem National Little League: Former Board Member
- Bledsoe v. County of Wilkes, 135 N.C. App. 124; 519 S.E.2d 316 (1999).
- Parker v. C.C. Mangum Co. (In re Estate of Bullock), 188 N.C. App. 518; 655 S.E.2d 869 (2008).
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Bustos-Ramirez, 212 N.C. App. 224, 710 S.E.2d 408, rev. denied 365 N.C. 367, 719 S.E.2d 44 (2011).
- State Farm Fire & Cas. Co. v. Palmer Corp., 2005 N.C. App. LEXIS 1233, reported at 615 S.E.2d 434 (N.C. Ct. App. 2005).
- North Carolina Bar Association Foundation Continuing Legal Education, An Apple a Day: Good Medicine for Lawyers, Nov. 1, 2002 (program planner and speaker).